Sunday 15 May 2011

Junior rugby and netball!


We arrived at Nagle Park Maroubra early Saturday morning at 9:15 am to watch junior sporting events. We were at a massive field divided up into mini rugby fields. The rugby players were mostly 8-year-old boys, aside from a "pink" girls team. Parents, siblings, and their dogs lined the fields cheering on the boys. They were accompanied by their coaches on the field, who were instructing them as they went along. I was surprised how much the boys were allowed to tackle each other, especially since they were so young. Their parents and coaches were encouraging them to be tough and aggressive. I overheard a boy saying that his team was going to "crush" the other team. 



At 10:30 am, we walked over to the junior netball games across the street. We watched our teacher's daughter play against the Butterflies team. They were a bit older (12-years-old) than the rugby players, which was a little bit more exciting because they needed less assistance from coaches. I was surprised by their outfits because girls are not accustomed to wearing skirts uniforms in the States, other than field hockey players. I was also surprised by how many rules and regulations there were in netball. I wondered how the goalkeeper could prevent their opponents from shooting if they had to be 3 feet away. I also thought it was interesting that the players couldn't dribble or take a step after receiving the ball. I learned that netball is very team oriented. However, I would not have liked to play netball growing up because I enjoy sports with more action and physical contact. I also would not have liked wearing a short skirt, especially because I think girls' sports are taken less seriously, in my opinion, when they wear "girly" uniforms.






No comments:

Post a Comment